Controlling the speed of your CPU fan is pretty crucial because this directly links to the working of your laptop. If your laptop is heating up and lagging quite often then it’s surely because your CPU blower speed isn’t in your control. To bring it back in order, people mostly use the BIOS method but you can also do it the other way round.
To adjust your CPU fan speed without BIOS, you can use software like speed fan. It’ll optimize the speed of the blower in a way that when the system gets hotter, it’ll increase the speed of the fan, and when it gets back to normal temperature, it’ll slow down the speed of your CPU fan.
Apart from this, there are other methods too that can be used to control the speed of your CPU fan. So if you are interested in checking those out, What about giving this article a quick read?
Methods To Change CPU Fan Speed Without BIOS
The following two methods can be adapted to change the speed of the CPU fan through some other external third-party software and external devices.
1. External fan controller
External fan controllers are the best tools to help you control the fan speed according to your will. You can increase the speed during gaming or any other heavy task and reduce the speed while performing light tasks.
The market is full of external fan controllers which one can buy. Each comes with its unique feature and specs, some are compatible with 3-pin fans and some for 4-pin fans. You should properly check what type of fan your CPU has before buying the product.
External fan controller helps the user to control the fan speed, but it also has various advantages which make them suitable for buying.
- Reduces the noise.
- Increases efficiency.
- Helps to maintain power as by default a CPU fan consumes 100% power.
- Improves the health of the system.
- Better performance.
- Reduces temperature if needed.
- Provide better control over CPU fans than software.
Like all other good things, these also have some cons that one has to bear to use it.
- May not be compatible with some fans.
- Consumes power.
- May not look good.
2. Fan controller software
A CPU fan speed can also be adjusted by using third-party software. This software helps you get complete control over your laptop fan. You can quickly reduce and increase the blower speed through this.
Also, this software is great when it comes to resolving the irritating sound of your CPU fan, temperature issues, and much more. Multiple software can help you adjust your CPU’s fan speed like SpeedFan, open hardware monitor, EasyTune 5, etc.
The SpeedFan software (Installation Guide)
Speed fan is free software that enables the user to control their computer’s fan speed manually. This software has an old interface, but it works perfectly fine. It monitors the temperature and fan speed of the CPU.
Method for adjusting the speed of the CPU fan through SpeedFan
Using software like SpeedFan to adjust the fan’s speed is somewhat tricky and challenging for beginners, so here are the following steps you can follow to adjust the fan speed of your CPU.
The first step is to download the SpeedFan correctly from its website.
The second step is to configure the fan speed manually in the software. It is a bit tricky part which involves the following steps.
- Open the software.
- Click on the configure option and a popup window will appear on your screen.
- Click on the advanced option in the popup window, and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Look for your PWMs in the drop-down menu and select those.
- After selecting SpeedFan, it will give you two options, one for manual control and the other for software control, choose according to your preference.
- To save your settings, make sure to click on remember it once you are done with your selection.
- Go back to the main window of the software and you will see the BMWs which you selected on the screen. Now you can adjust the speed manually.
If you don’t want to control the fan speed manually, there is also an option to control the fan speed automatically. You can make use of this option by following the given steps.
- Click on configure option available in the main window of the software.
- After clicking on configure, click on the Fan control.
- Select the advanced fan control option.
- Add the new option and name it.
- Now go back to advanced fan control and click on the now option you created.
- Select the PWM you want to control.
- After selecting PWM, select the method according to your choice.
- After choosing the method, choose the temperature that you prefer to maintain.
- After selecting the temperature, a graph will appear, and you can adjust the range of your fan speed.
- After setting up the limits, click on Ok.
- Now click on the automatic fan speed option available in the main menu of the software.
Rather than spending money on external fan speed controllers, you should optimize your fan speed using some external software like FanSpeed. Still, if your laptop gets heated up quite often then probably the problem is in the laptop and it’s time to upgrade. So I believe that opting for Gigabyte A5 X1 would be a great choice as it has an amazing cooling system.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What causes fans to speed up?
The primary cause of increased CPU fan speed is the increased processor use while doing heavy tasks like video editing, video rendering, gaming, etc.
How fast should the CPU fan revolve?
The best speed of the CPU fan depends purely on the use and temperature. In the case of light tasks, the optimum RPM at which the CPU fans should be is between 50-70, and in the case of heavy tasks, the fans could be set at 100% RPM.
What is the reason behind computer fans running at all times?
The primary reason behind the computer fan running at full speed is the faulty temperature sensor and heatsink. In some cases, the defective processor could also cause these fans to run at full speed, so it must be checked in time to keep your computer healthy and safe.