PCs or laptops are very much prone to overheating. It can cause several problems like reduced performance, or sometimes it may cause a processor to burn out. To reduce the heating issues of a CPU, we can control the fan speed of the CPU.
The processor is the primary component that performs all the tasks, but the CPU fan helps the processor remain cool and complete its work efficiently.
The best way to change the fan’s speed is through BIOS, but sometimes you cannot change the fan speed through it for any reason. There are also other techniques that can be used for speed controlling which are external fan controllers and fan controller software.
The following two methods could be adopted to change the speed of the CPU fan through some other external third-party software.
1.) External fan controller
2.) Fan controller software
1.) External fan controller:
External fan controllers are the best tools to help you control your fan speed according to your use. You can adjust the speed according to your needs, like increasing the speed during gaming or any other heavy task and reducing the speed while performing light tasks.
The market is full of external fan coolers which a person could get nowadays. Some of the best external fan controllers picked by our team are as follows.
Kingwin FPX-001 is an excellent external and budget-friendly fan controller. It consists of various knobs to adjust the speed of the fan manually. A maximum of four fans could be connected to a single kingwin FPX-001 fan cooler.
Unfortunately, it only supports a three-pin connector making it unsuitable for other fans. It also consists of RGB lighting, which helps the user tell that the fans are working correctly and makes the visuals look much more pleasing.
Corsair ICUE commander PRO:
Corsair ICUE commander pro is among the top best-performing fan speed controllers. It offers a wide variety of options for customization and excellent control over CPU fan speed. It is the best which you could get.
With three and four-pin supports, six fans could be easily fitted in Corsair ICUE commander pro. It also has four temperature sensors and even a software-based adjustment of fans.
The fan speed could be adjusted by using corsair link software, making it easy and comfortable to use. It could be said that in terms of connectivity, this device is on another level than other external fan controller devices.
2.) Fan controller software:
A CPU fan speed can be adjusted by using third-party software. This software helps you get complete control over your PCs fans. You could quickly reduce and increase the fan’s speed through this software.
This software could help you resolve the irritating sound of your CPU fan temperature issues and many others. Multiple software could help you adjust your CPU’s fan speed like SpeedFan, open hardware monitor, EasyTune 5, and many more. Out of all the software, the best suited for controlling the fan’s speed is SpeedFan.
What is SpeedFan?
Speed fan is free software that enables the user to control its computer’s fan speed manually through this software. This software has an old interface, but it works perfectly fine. It monitors the temperature and fan speed of the CPU.
How to adjust the speed of the CPU fan through SpeedFan?
Using software like SpeedFan to adjust the fan’s speed is somewhat tricky and challenging for beginners, so here are the following steps you should follow to adjust the fan speed of your CPU.
Step 1: The first step is to download the SpeedFan correctly from its website. Open any browser chrome or safari and search for SpeedFan.
Step 2: The second step is to configure the fan speed manually in the software. It is a bit tricky part which involves the following steps.
- Open the software
- Click on the configure option; another popup window will appear on your screen.
- Click on the advanced option in the popup window, and a drop-down menu will appear.
- Look for your PWMs in the drop-down menu and select them.
- After selecting SpeedFan, it will give you two options, one for manual control and the other is software control; choose the one you prefer.
- To save your settings, make sure to click on remember it once you are done with your selection.
- Go back to the main window of the software and you will see the BMWs which you selected on the screen. Now you can adjust the speed manually.
Step 3: If you don’t want to control the fan speed manually, there is also an option to control the fan speed automatically. You can make use of this option by following the given steps
- Click on configure option available in the main window of the software
- After clicking on configure, click on the Fan control
- Select the advanced fan control option
- Add the new option and name it
- Now go back to advanced fan control and click on the now option you created
- Select the PWM you want to control
- After selecting PWM to select the method you want to choose
- After choosing the method, choose the temperature at which you want to control the temperature
- After selecting the temperature, a graph will appear, and you can adjust the range at which you want your fan speed
- After setting up the limits, click on Ok
- Now click on the automatic fan speed option available in the main menu of the software
These steps will allow you to manually control the fan speed of your PC or a laptop.
In order for PCs and computers to work efficiently and correctly, one must always keep a check on their temperature and fan speed. If the temperature is higher than average, it must be solved quickly by adjusting the fan speed.
The best way is to adjust the fan speed through BIOS, but if you cannot do so due to any reason, then in this article, we have mentioned all the possible ways by which you could adjust your computer’s fan speed. You have to select the most appropriate method suited for you and your PC from the above-mentioned methods.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What causes fans to speed up?
The primary cause of increased CPU fan speed is the increased processor use while doing heavy tasks like video editing, video rendering, gaming, etc.
- What is the best fan speed for the CPU?
The best speed of the CPU fan depends purely on the use and temperature. In the case of light tasks, the optimum RPM at which the CPU fans should be is between 50-70, and in the case of heavy tasks, the fans could be set at 100% RPM.
- What is the reason behind computer fans running at all times?
The primary reason behind the computer fan running at full speed is the faulty temperature sensor and heatsink. In some cases, the defective processor could also cause these fans to run at full speed, so it must be checked in time to keep your computer healthy and safe.