Let me share with you an easy way to take a screenshot on a Dell laptop or any other laptop.
Only in 2021, a Google search report showed 1.9 million queries about how to take a screenshot. Taking screenshots is handy and saves a lot of time. It’s simple.
You can take a screenshot on a Dell laptop by clicking on Prt Sc or PrtScn (Print Screen) key in the top row. In case, the Dell model does not have this key, one can take a screenshot by Windows + Shift + S.
At times, we do not want to capture the entire screen, but just the active window. So, to capture any active window in the Dell laptop, press Alt + PrtScn at once. Alternatively, in Windows 10, Windows Logo + PrtScn can be used to take a screenshot as well.
There are several ways to take a screenshot on a Dell laptop.
Print Screen Method
Dell laptops with Windows 8 to 10 do not need any special function to take a screenshot. They have a built-in function placed as a Print Screen key. However, the labels of this key may vary. For instance, it can be PrtSc, PrtScn, PrtScr, PrntScrn, PrntScr, or something similar.
Print Screen key is often in the top row marked as F10. In newer models, like the Dell Inspiron series, it is present along with the side Delete key in the top right corner. Key combinations may vary depending on the Windows installed in the Dell laptop.
For Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Vista
- Press PrtScn and it will capture the entire screen.
- Or, press Alt + PrtScn to take a screenshot.
For Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows 11
- Press the Windows logo + PrtScn simultaneously to take a screenshot.
- Some Dell models screenshot when Windows logo + Volume Down key are clicked at once.
- Alternatively, PrtScn or Alt + PrtScn can also be used to capture the entire window.
Snipping Tool Method
If the PrtSc stops responding, or the combinations don’t work, there is another method for you. The snipping tool is an in-built Windows feature and works for all Windows and it is easy to set up. In addition, it has the advantage to capture the screen in different shapes. So, there is no need to crop the screenshot afterward.
- Press Windows logo + Shift + S to open it. The screen will darken and a number of options will appear.
- It has a cropped shape, irregular shape, square, and rectangle shape. The rectangle is set as the default shape of the screenshot.
- Once the screenshot is captured, it is automatically copied to the clipboard.
Gaming Screenshot Method
The methods mentioned above work well when the screen is not moving at high fps. Gaming is different because every second matters. So, a popular way to screenshot among gamers is a tad different.
- To capture the game overlay, press Windows logo + G at once.
- To capture a game still, Windows logo + Alt + PrtScn is the way to go. It helps to screenshot only the active window, instead of the entire screen.
Ways to Save Screenshot on a Dell Laptop
Capturing a screenshot is easy, but figuring out where and how to save it can be a little tricky. However, it is easy if you get a hang of what you need and how to do it.
The quality of a screenshot also depends on the visual depth and screen settings. So, make sure to turn off any blue light filter to capture a screenshot.
Once a screenshot is taken, you can choose different formats to save it.
Save It to Clipboard
First, move to the window or the page you want to screenshot. If you are using PrtScn or Snipping tool method, the screenshot is automatically copied to the clipboard.
- To view the screenshot, open any Image Editor like Paint and paste it by Ctrl + V.
- You can save it in various formats by clicking Save As and choosing JEPG, JPG, PNG, etc.
- In Snipping Tool, a window appears on its own, where one can edit or crop the screenshot before saving it.
In Windows, using a direct key as PrtScn will save the screenshot in a Screenshots folder in Photos. If you want to alter the position of the screenshot, then you can either change its location or follow the copy-paste method mentioned above.
Moreover, the default folder for Screenshots can be changed.
- Go to Properties in the Screenshots folder, or right-click on it.
- Open the Location tab and click Move.
- Choose the folder to keep future screenshots in and press Select Folder.
- Press Apply in the screenshot folder’s Properties tab.
- Press Yes to proceed with the folder move.
It not only changes the default location, but it also moves the already existing screenshots in a Dell laptop.
Your Dell laptop may have a variety of features to take a screenshot without hassle. The easiest among them is the Print Screen method. On the other hand is the Snipping Tool method, which gives a number of editing options like Crop, Highlighter, Print, etc. Try all the methods and see what works the best for your Dell laptop.