Have you ever had the urge to curse the memory? I certainly have, when I am unable to access my laptop because I forget its password. The frustration is almost unbearable. If you too, like me, do not have a great memory to remember the password, I can help you get around it.
To do that we just have to login into the Microsoft account on another PC or a laptop. After that, we can change the password using the Reset password option. This will help us to access the Dell laptop without losing any data.
However, this method is specifically for those who use Windows 10. So, if you aren’t a Windows 10 user this one won’t work for you. But don’t worry and just give this article a skim read, as I have explained 6 methods in detail that can help you to unlock the dell Inspiron without a password.
Method 1 Using A Microsoft Account
The easiest and most effective method to access the files and documents without requiring a password is through a Microsoft account. The only thing it needs is the windows 10 operating system, which most people have, and a Microsoft account. If you have both, follow these simple steps to reset the password.
- Get another laptop or pc and go to Microsoft to recover the account web page.
- Log in to the Microsoft account on that device.
- Click on the Reset Password option and change the password.
- After clicking on ok, we will get an option to choose a method for receiving the code.
- Select the appropriate method and click ok.
- Once the code is received, enter it in the box and click Ok.
Read More: How To Install A New Hard Drive On A Laptop?
Method 2 Using Password Reset Disk
The reset disk is the disk that comes with the laptop, it contains all the necessary information about the laptop. So, in case you forget the password, you can just use the reset disk to change the password easily. Look for the reset disk and follow these steps to reset the laptop’s password.
- Turn on the laptop, and it will ask you for a password.
- Since you forget the password, type anything and press Enter.
- Then, it will prompt an incorrect password, and click on the Reset Password option.
- Insert the reset disk now and click on Next.
- Select the reset disk in the drop-down menu.
- Once the disk is selected, click Next.
- It will ask you to enter a New Password.
- Once you have entered the password, click Next.
- Now restart the laptop and log in with the new password.
Method 3 Using A Bootable Flash Drive
If the above methods are not applicable for any reason, you can use a simple bootable flash drive and reset the laptop’s password through these simple steps.
- Make a bootable flash drive for Windows 10.
- Insert that flash drive into the laptop.
- Restart the laptop.
- Keep pressing The F2 Key to open the boot menu of Dell laptops.
- Select the Removable Disk option from the boot menu and press Enter.
- Now select the language which you understand from the list.
- Look for The Repair Computer option and click on it.
- After that, click on troubleshoot.
- Select An Advanced Option and then click on The Command Prompt.
- Once the command prompt is open, look for the installation drive.
- Now type Cd Windows and press Enter.
- Then type Cd system32, and again press Enter.
- By typing ren utliman.exe utilman_bak.exe, rename utility manager.
- Then copy cmd.exe utilman.exe.
- Now type quit and press enter
- Now restart the laptop and click on Ease On Access.
- Now type control userpasswords2 and press enter.
- Select the Username and Reset the password.
- Now restart and log in with the new password.
Method 4 Using The Installation Disk
If you do not have the reset disk and have also not connected the laptop to a Microsoft account, then what? Well, no worries, you can just use the installation disk instead and reset the dell Inspiron password. I’ll guide you to get through it through these simple steps.
- Insert the installation disk into the laptop and boot it.
- Keep pressing The F12 key until the boot menu shows on the screen.
- Select the appropriate booting option and press Enter.
- Before starting the installation, replace the magnify.exe with cmd.exe.
- The login page will appear; click on Magnify.
- Now change the previous password from there.
- Also, type the real user name instead of the username and press Enter.
- Once done, all the steps restart the laptop.
- Now you do not require any password to log in to the laptop.
Method 5 ALT+CTRL+DELETE
Whenever the Window is installed, the hidden administrator account is created. That account is not visible on the login screen, but it could be accessed to reset the password. The following steps may help you to reset the Dell Inspiron laptop password.
- Restart the laptop in safe mode.
- When windows start, press the F8 key to make the admin account appear on the login screen.
- Now press the ALT, CTRL, and Delete keys simultaneously.
- A set of options will appear on the screen.
- Choose the Switch User option.
- Enter administrator as a user name and make sure to leave the password space empty.
- Once done, press Enter.
- The laptop will start. Now go to settings and reset the password.
Method 6 Restore The Device
The last method to unlock the Dell Inspiron is through factory resetting it. I recommend you use it as the last option as this will completely wipe out all the data on the laptop. If you still want to do it, I’ll tell you how to do it, just follow these steps.
- Boot up the laptop.
- Once you are at the login screen, look for the Power icon and click on it
- Hold Shift and then Right-Click on the Restart option.
- The system will restart, and a new window screen will appear.
- Click on the troubleshoot option.
- Look for the Reset The Pc option and click on it.
- Once done, you will get two choices, Remove Everything or Keep My Files. Select the one which you want.
- The laptop will undergo a restoration process.
- Once the process is complete, the password issue will be long gone.
The loss of data due to a small memory problem of not remembering passwords is now history. However, If you have the Dell Inspiron laptop, then you can reset the password easily with any of the methods mentioned above that suits you. In case you are bored with that old laptop, I feel the Lenovo IdeaPad duet 5 Chromebook is the best for you as it has everything one needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you bypass a password on a Dell laptop Windows 7?
First of all, click Reset password on the main login screen, once you are done with this it’s time to insert the recovery disk. That’s it now you can see a guideline on the screen for generating new passwords. You can use this new password for logging in.
How do you reset a locked windows 7 dell laptop?
Just restart the laptop and then opt for Repair the computer, go for factory reset and there you go you are done resetting the locked windows 7 dell laptop.